Friday, July 4, 2014

Vacation

For me going on vacation and handling type 1 diabetes is difficult. My schedule is way off and exercise doesn't really happen. I would like for it to be different. This vacation my family and I have been on has been pretty packed with activities.

 
It is great to spend the time with my wife and kids. They are a blast. The silly thing is that I worry about my blood sugars the whole time. My diet is not what it normally is at home and this throws my control a major curve ball. At home, I am pretty boring with what I eat. I try to keep it pretty much the same everyday with each meal the same except dinner. This way I know if I ate something and it affected my blood sugar and insulin use a certain way, I can make the appropriate adjustments for the future. 

In the grand scheme of things, I could prepare better and have meals and activities scheduled to the second. I don't think that would be fair to my family and the vacation that is supposed to be about the family turns into a diabetes focus. It affects my family as it is. Balance is key. It seems the more aware I am and learn more things about my disease the worse it affects me and others around me. 

Next week, I will get back to a more normal routine with diet and training. I have a strongman completion called Oregon Feats of Strength Contest. I am looking forward to this. I will be trying to use this competition to help raise funds again for the JDRF. 


No comments:

Post a Comment