Friday, August 1, 2014

Competition

There are many reasons why I enjoy competing in athletics. Some are selfish reasons and others are for a reason greater than me. 

My goal is for some newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic to maybe stumble upon my blog and see that type 1s can do whatever they set their mind too. According to the JDRF, there are as many as 3 million type 1 diabetics in the United States. I took this quote from JDRF.org:

“Unlike other kids, I have to check my blood sugar 8 to 10 times a day; everything I eat is measured and every carbohydrate counted. My kit goes with me everywhere I go … Too much exercise or not eating all my food can be dangerous. I think I’m too young to have to worry about all this stuff.”
— Jonathan Platt, 8, California

The feeling of being diagnosed can be very scary and helpless feeling.

I struggle day to day with my disease. It seems the more I learn about it, the more difficult it seems. Things were easier when I knew less. 

Competing and training in strongman has helped me many ways that I am thankful for. I monitor my food and blood sugars much better because if I don't, my performance goes down. Athletics is my time to feel "normal". 

I have a competition tomorrow and my biggest worry is how my blood sugars will react. 

The people that have helped me prepare and very thankful for are:

My wife-no matter what she is behind me.
My family-forever support. 
Sean(Why everyone needs a Sean), will be doing the comp with me. 
Type 1 Athletes Facebook page-everyone sharing their accomplishments has been very motivating.
Kalle Beck-he has been in charge of my programming since March. 
Startingstrongman.com, Starting Strongman Facebook group-answered a ton of my questions about training. 

Tomorrow will be a success. 

BREAK DIABETES!



No comments:

Post a Comment