Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Community

As a type 1 diabetic I have found that I don't really know others that are type 1. I never would have thought that social media would help me with my disease. I have found a community over the last year and it's the last place I would have looked. 

I have been involved in a group on Facebook called "Type 1 Diabetic Athletes Group". I am part of the admin team that I feel lucky to be a part of. I met the originator of the group because he traveled to a strongman comp I did. He won me over with that. He even created "Breaking Diabetes" shirts. I wish I could have spent more time with him that day. Hopefully in the future, there could be a meet up with fellow members. 

The group has members that partake in a number of activities. Whether it's CrossFit, strongman, yoga, running, lifting and other activities. Everyone seems to have the similar goal of living healthy and being active. We help each other out and respect our differences. 

For the longest time, I felt alone with my diabetes. Unless you live it, it's very hard to understand. There are too many variables that can play with your numbers. This can be frustrating, but having my online community to bounce ideas off of eases the stress. 

Thank you!

Please comment if you have suggestions or questions.

Facebook.com/breakingdiabetes 
Instagram: @breakingdiabtes
Email: breakingdiabetes@yahoo.com

Part animal, part machine. 
Break Diabetes! 



No comments:

Post a Comment