Sunday, April 20, 2014

Fundraising and Competition

I have created an event through the JDRF called Deadlifts for Diabetes. I am competing in the Northern California Strongman Champioships. One of the events is a dead lift. For me, whenever I deadlift my blood sugars are great for hours.

So far, I have raised a bit over $1,000 thanks to some very generous people. I couldn't be more appreciative and thankful. My goal is $3,000. I am hoping there is an extra push before the competition on Saturday the 26th. 

I am really looking forward to competing in my first strongman competition. It's safe to say that I am a bit nervous as well. The big question for me, is how will my blood sugars go the day of. The five events will all be short in duration with a high level of intensity. 

The two powerlifting meets I have done my experiences were very different. The first meet, I was nervous and my numbers were high the whole day with a major low a few hours after the competition. The second meet, I was not as nervous and my numbers were great all day. 

With this last week before the competition, the diet and blood sugar control are very important. This is not a time to be slacking with record keeping or food intake. I have been transitioning into a low carb diet the last few weeks and my highest blood sugar has been 134 the last few days.The tighter control means the better I feel. 

Since strongman is new water for me, we will see how things turn out. I am looking forward to a day of competition and getting out of my comfort zone. Most importantly, I am raising money the JDRF.

 http://team.jdrf.org
Type in Jeffrey Huet to find my event and donate.


No comments:

Post a Comment