Friday, May 23, 2014

Parenting and Type 1

I have a 4 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. They mean everything to me. At times, my disease can be a burden to my kids and wife. Luckily, my wife is very supportive and is behind me no matter what.

My kids think nothing of me pricking my finger or changing an infusion set for my pump. It's funny because at times they fight over who can help me. My daughter even asked the other day if I was low and needed some food. 

One of my biggest fears as a parent is that my kids will end up with type 1 as well. I wouldn't know how to handle that. Looking back to when I was diagnosed, I am so thankful for how strong my parents were. 

Type 1 is a team effort. It just doesn't affect the type 1 diabetic. This disease affects everyone. We need to stand strong and fight for a cure. Too many kids and families are being torn down and beaten up by type 1. We must BREAK DIABETES! Perception is not reality. 


No comments:

Post a Comment