Sunday, February 8, 2015

Family Support or Burden?

The relatives and loved ones of a type 1 can have a bit of extra responsibilty. Today for example, I gave myself a bit too much insulin and dropped to a blood sugar of 44. I was sweaty, mumbling and half naked on the kitchen floor. It was up to my wife to help me get food while also getting the kids ready for bedtime. I can't be more thankful for her. 


At times, I feel that my disease adds extra stress to my family. It adds me extra stress. If my numbers are off, I am a different person. I am not as patient and have a bad attitude. I am guilty of ruining a Christmas back in 1997 because I was low and didn't come out of it until noon. I was swearing at my grandmother and spitting food out of my mouth that my family tried to get me to eat. Luckily, that was the real wake up call to get my act together and take control of my disease. 


This disease is not a solo mission. My family helped me and still support me to this day. My wife is a saint for putting up with it. 

Financially, T1Ds is a major burden. We added up expenses for taxes over the weekend and I still can't believe how much out of pocket we spend. My Dexcom sensors are around $20 per sensor. A sensor can last one to two weeks. It's recommended that you change them every week, but due to cost I see how long they can last. The longest I have been able to wear one is two weeks. Some of the other expenses are test strips, insulin and my insulin pump supplies. Prices of these vary month to month. Test strips are normally $50-$70 once the deductible is hit. Insulin is around $70 per month as well. My pump supplies is normally around $500 for a few months. For the tightest control, all theses things are needed. 

T1Ds has forced me to rely on some very important people in my life. I am so greatful for all their support they provide me without making my disease my identity. It's a part of my life and they accept 100% of me.


Break Diabetes!

No comments:

Post a Comment