Thursday, June 2, 2016

Bolus and Barbells

The first Bolus and Barbells event is 9 days out (June 11th, starting at 9 am). For those of you that aren't aware of this event, it is the first event that includes lifting and type 1 diabetes. I was asked by the creator (Rodney Miller) to be a speaker and instructor at the event. Rodney has done a great job the last few years to bring attention to type 1 diabetes through the sport of strongman. He is the only other type 1 that I am aware of in the USA that competes in strongman. The other speakers are Hillary Shultz Emmons, Kelley Champ Crumpler Rodney Miller, and Chris Ruden. We will be discussing our individual journey with type 1 diabetes. The event will take place at Prism CrossFit in Leander, Texas. 
Here is the link to the event:



I am excited for many reasons. The number one reason is to connect with other type 1s. I have met only 4 in my type 1 life. Being able to expose new people to strongman and strength training is also very exciting. Strongman and powerlifting are on the fringe, but they are both two sports that people can easily participate and compete in whether they are diabetic or not.



Ultimately, my goal as a part of this is to help motivate people to try something new and believe in themselves. As type 1s, we are not fragile and will not break any easier as someone that is "healthy". I throw around the term "state of mind" quite a bit, but it holds truth. Bolus and Barbells is an opportunity to be around like minded individuals that understand the hurdles of type 1. I can't be more excited. Now I just need to figure out what I am going to talk about for my 20 minute slot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment