Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Roller Coaster of Control

One of the things that has been the most confusing part of being diabetic for 22 years has been how to eat. I have been all over the place doing what doctors recommend, the ADA, low carb, Paleo...etc. The best solution for me has been to keep the carbs to a minimum and lifting heavy weights.

When I do this my levels normally don't go above 140. I feel great and my insulin levels are very low. When I eat the way the ADA suggests, I feel like I am on a roller coaster. My energy levels aren't where I would like them and I flat out don't feel good.

It's not that I don't eat carbs. After I workout, I will consume my carbs for the day. Normally, I won't even have to bolus or take insulin to cover them.

For example, last night I worked on my bench press for three heavy sets of three and did some heavy work to help my bench. My blood sugar level was 145 when I was done. I ate 40 grams of carbs afterwards and only bolused for 10 grams. My levels stayed between 85-123 until I went to sleep.

If I would have bolused for the 40 grams of carbs like my pump recommends I would have been eating all night long to not go low. When I have done this, my bs levels the next day are normally always high.

My personal solution to the roller coaster of control is to eat low carb, high protein, high fat, and lift heavy weights.

No comments:

Post a Comment