Saturday, June 1, 2013

Getting Involved

This post is motivated by a 13 year old in my city. I read his story Thursday in the local paper and was brought to tears. His family is attempting to raise money to get a dog that will know when the boy is running into trouble with his blood sugars. I met the parents today and they are very supportive of their son.

The reason I was brought to tears is I know what it is like to be at that young age and have some disease that you only hear about with people that make poor lifestyle choices. When I was diagnosed, I had no idea how or why I was diabetic. People made comments about me eating too many cookies and that crushed me. The ages of 12 to 14 are tough enough without a disease. As a diabetic, all I have ever wanted to feel is normal.

After sitting back for years, I am ready to step up and get hands on with helping others that are in the same situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment